PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The Latest on the NFL concussion settlement (all times local): 5:10 p.m.
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The Latest on the NFL concussion settlement (all times local):
Lawyers representing former NFL players in their concussion claims estimate payouts from the settlement with the league will likely reach $1.4 billion.
The lawyers filed a status update Wednesday saying an actuary estimates the approved payouts to date and the number of players who had filed to be a part of the settlement are outpacing any previous estimate. The actuary says participation rates are 21 percent higher than estimated when the settlement was reached.
The $400 million increase in estimated payout came after a judge Wednesday denied for now a request from the league to appoint a special investigator to look into what the league said was extensive fraudulent claims against the settlement fund.
Judge Anita Brody says, as of now, the audit process seems to be appropriately ferreting out and denying those claims.
A federal judge has denied a request from the NFL to appoint a special investigator to look into what the league says is extensive fraudulent claims on the $1 billion concussion settlement.
Judge Anita Brody wrote in her ruling Wednesday that the league's attorneys have demonstrated that there is "sufficient evidence of probable fraud to warrant serious concern." Brody says the already in place special master and claims administrator have effectively ferreted out those claims.
The league cited an independent study it said found more than 400 claims had been recommended for denial based on evidence of fraud by attorneys, doctors and former players attempting to cheat the program.
Plaintiffs' lawyers say they support Brody's decision, noting more than $485 million has already been approved for valid claims.